They are now working on phase manufacturing plan (PMP) to have localisation of components used in the production of these mobile phones will also be manufactured in India.
In line with the Prime Minister’s Make in India policy, Intex Technologies has been continuously increasing domestic manufacturing. Intex has been manufacturing in India since 2004. The company is manufacturing about 2 million phones per month in India presently. Currently, they have 5 manufacturing facilities – 1 in Jammu , 1 in Baddi in HP and 3 facilities in Noida employing over 5000 people.
Jammu: Area – 51,000 sqft
Computer Multimedia Speakers- Capacity 1.8 million annually.
Baddi: Area – 70,000 sq ft
- Feature Phones – Annual Capacity 8 Million;
- Mobile Battery 15 Million and Charger 8 Million (Annual Capacity)
- LED TV 10,00,000 (Annual Capacity)
Noida – Unit 1
- Capacity – Annual capacity is 15 Million mobile
Noida Unit – 2 (near Noida Unit 1)
- Started operations in October 2015.
- Area spread over 100,000 sq ft
- Capacity – 20 million smartphones per annum
Noida – Unit 3: Area – 50,000 sq ft
- Started in April 2016
Chargers & Battery – 25million capacity
Intex has set up a Mobile Cell and Battery Test Lab in Noida factory. The Lab is capable of testing as per UN 38.3 Transportation Standard. The UN 38.3 transportation standard regulates shipment of lithium and lithium-ion cells and batteries. Shipping generally requires certification that the cells or batteries pass this Testing standard. Tests include altitude simulation, thermal cycling, vibration, mechanical shock, external short-circuit, impact, overcharge and forced discharge. Intex has completed UN 38.3 testing hundreds of times.
Intex state-of-the-art lab test facilities include the latest environmental battery testing equipment needed to meet and exceed the testing requirements for a wide range of applications. Our exceptional resources include:
- Automated Battery Cyclers
- Shock machine
- Vibration machine
- Low-pressure chambers
- Thermal testing chambers
- Abuse testing bunkers
Adhering to strict quality standards, the Intex laboratory provides comprehensive regulatory compliance, safety, and performance testing.
“Most of feature phone manufacturing is now localized and smartphones around 20-30 percent. We have also developed our design capabilities for our mobile batteries and as a branded company we are the only one who do battery manufacturing in India. We believe having a design center is not that important, we want to own the whole supply chain.”
Mr. Ashok Aggarwal , Head Operations, Intex Technologies India Ltd.
Test cells and batteries are to be stored for at least six hours at a test temperature equal to 75 ± 2 °C. The maximum time interval between test temperature extremes is 30 minutes. This procedure is to be repeated 10 times, after which all test cells and batteries are to be stored for 24 hours at ambient temperature (20 ± 5 °C). For large cells and batteries the duration of exposure to the test temperature extremes should be at least 12 hours.
Cells and batteries meet this requirement if there is no mass loss, no leakage, no venting, no disassembly, no rupture and no fire and if the open circuit voltage of each test cell or battery after testing is not less than 90% of its voltage immediately prior to this procedure. The requirement relating to voltage is not applicable to test cells and batteries at fully discharged states.
Intex laboratory features:
- Complete data acquisition, including video, for all performance and safety testing
- Calibrated Equipment’s
- Controlled-temperature environments
- Customized or standard testing programs
- Failure-mode analysis
- Altitude test
- Temperature cycling test
- Vibration test
- Shock test
- Drop Test
- Nail Penetration
- Cycle life
- Discharge rate
- Duty cycle
- Humidity test
- Salt Test
- Rate capability
- Cell Capacity
The Intex Lab is under process for BIS/IEC Safety test accreditation.
Future Plans :
A massive facility spread over 20 Acres is coming up in Kasna, Greater Noida (UP), where all the Noida manufacturing capacity will be consolidated. This unit will have mobile manufacturing capacity of 35 million per annum.
- Main products manufactured at Greater Noida will be mobile handsets, mobile accessories, LED TVs, washing machines.
- Intex is working on phase manufacturing plan (PMP) to have localisation of components used in the production of these mobile phones will also be manufactured in India.
- The target is to manufacture the complete unit of mobile phone including all its components like LCD, Touch phone, speaker, PCBs and Plastic in India in a year’s time.
Images are from our recently factory visit to Intex’s manufacturing facilities in Noida.